I’ve become one of those people who is SOO BUSY. All the time. I’m so busy. I can’t hang out because I’m so busy. I can’t call you back because I’m so busy. I can’t do my laundry because I’m so busy. It’s annoying. But it’s true! I really am sooooo busy. But that doesn’t mean I don’t drop everything I’m doing to make slightly labor-intensive pasta dishes to share with all of you.
This recipe is a combination of some of my favorite snacking vegetables and pesto. Boiled radishes, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted beets.
Don’t turn your nose up at boiled radishes! When perfectly cooked and chilled overnight they are an immaculate treat. There’s a few steps in this recipe, so it’s best to do your roasting and pesto making the night before. The beets turn the whole dish a brilliant pink and the natural sweetness from the roasted vegetables makes this pasta better than dessert. It’s vegan if that matters to you.
Fall Pasta with Roasted Beets and Radishes
4 servings linguine (about 8 ounces)
10 small radishes, stems removed
1 large sweet potato
3 medium-sized beets
1 teaspoon rock salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh pesto (store-bought or homemade-recipe follows below)
salt and pepper.
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash the beets and sweet potato. Place the beets on sturdy baking sheet or in a roasting dish. Coat in olive oil and salt (skin on) and place on the bottom rack of your oven. Place the sweet potato directly on the rack above the beets so the juices will drip down into the pan. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour so the beets are almost soft. The skin should be pretty charred and your beets should have shrunk by about 20%. Let them chill in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to boil and cook the radishes until slightly soft, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Peel the skin from the beets and sweet potato. Chop into bite sized pieces.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Add the linguine and cook for about 8 minutes. Drain and toss with the beets, radishes and sweet potato. Coat in pesto and serve with salt and pepper.
Makes 1 cup
4 cups packed basil leaves (75% of the leaves from a large bunch of basil or 3 of those small plastic pre-pack cases)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon pine nuts (you can leave these out if you don’t have them)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Add the basil and olive oil to food processor or blender. Pulse for about 30 seconds until the basil is finely chopped. Add the chopped garlic, cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper and continue to pulse until you have a fine paste.